As many of you may have heard already, there has been a cougar in the Dogwood Drive area. This cougar is not scared of humans and has been reported watching people, perhaps stalking.
At just after 9:00pm last night, a resident was walking his dog at the top of Dogwood, and this cougar appeared 15 feet behind him. His dog lunged towards the cougar, coming out of her collar in the process. Tragically, the cougar then picked up the dog and ran back across the street and into the bush.
Conservation is aware of this situation, and as of late last night, the RCMP were attempting to locate the cat as well. The Buzz is not yet aware as of this morning whether the cat has been found or not.
Please be extremely cautious! Do not let your children walk back and forth to school on their own – even during the daylight. Bring your pets inside and keep them inside. It would be wise to avoid walking in the area as well due to the fearless nature of this particular cat.
Tips to remember:
If you meet a cougar:
- Never approach a cougar. Although cougars will normally avoid a confrontation, all cougars are unpredictable. Cougars feeding on a kill may be dangerous.
- Always give a cougar an avenue of escape.
- Stay calm. Talk to the cougar in a confident voice.
- Pick all children up off the ground immediately. Children frighten easily and their rapid movements may provoke an attack.
- Do not run. Try to back away from the cougar slowly. Sudden movement or flight may trigger an instinctive attack.
- Do not turn your back on the cougar. Face the cougar and remain upright.
- Do all you can to enlarge your image. Don’t crouch down or try to hide. Pick up sticks or branches and wave them about.
If a cougar behaves aggressively:
- Arm yourself with a large stick, throw rocks, speak loudly and firmly. Convince the cougar that you are a threat not prey.
- If a cougar attacks, fight back! Many people have survived cougar attacks by fighting back with anything, including rocks, sticks, bare fists, and fishing poles.
Note: I will be away for most of today, so will be unable to update this situation in a timely manner. Please comment on this post and keep the community updated if you know of any change in the situation.Email This Post to a Friend